Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pathan informed us: BCCI


 Pathan informed us: BCCI NEW DELHI: The BCCI has confirmed reports that out of favour pacer Irfan Pathan had been approached by 'a stranger' during a Test series a few years back. Pathan, on Thursday, had said that there had been an attempt to bribe him a few years back.

The incident occurred at a Karachi hotel during India's tour to Pakistan in 2006. Pathan stated he had brought the matter to the notice of the team manager. "I was in a team hotel when a stranger approached me. He sent three expensive gifts to my room. He later sent me two more expensive gifts, things I couldn't afford. I thought it was wrong as I didn't know this person. He later sent me two more expensive gifts. I reported to the team manager who then alerted the ICC Anti-Corruption and Security Unit Officer, (ACSU)" said the 25-year-old who last played aTest against South Africa in April, 2008.

The then India manager M Baladitya too confirmed the episode. "Irfan had told me that somebody came to his room and left some expensive gifts for him. I told him to return them immediately," he said. "During the entire tour, I kept on telling the players not to accept any gifts or contact anybody. After returning to India, I mentioned about this incident in my report submitted to the BCCI," he added.

BCCI Finance and Media Committee Chairman Rajiv Shukla said Pathan had done the right thing by informing the matter to the team management. "That's the normal procedure. What he (Pathan) had done was a normal procedure," Shukla said. "If any stranger approaches any player they should be very careful. I think Irfan has done the right thing (by reporting the matter)." he added.

Shukla said that Indian players have been given awareness sessions by the ICC Anti-corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) on how to deal with the situation if they are approached by strangers. "We keep on organising sessions by ICC Anti-Corruption Unit for the benefit of players. There they are taught that they should be away from such things ... if any stranger approaches them to offer some consideration ... they should maintain a distance from that person and report it (to the team management)," said Shukla. "Players worldwide can be approached but it is the players job to maintain distance from these people," he said.

Pathan said he never saw the "stranger" again and was glad that he had reported the matter immediately. "I haven't seen the stranger since then. I think I have done the right thing and I am proud of it. As a player you are expected to report any such thing as per the code of conduct," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment