Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Meet Elza, 98, our oldest driver

Motoring on ... Elza Ronis has been driving happily since 1949 and has no plans to stop. Pic: Dan Himbrechts Source: The Sunday Telegraph

SHE'S almost as old as the automobile itself, but Elza Ronis has no plans to give up driving any time soon.

While the stress of battling Sydney traffic can take years off a normal driver's life, Mrs Ronis - aged 98-and-a-half - says it invigorates her.

'I feel more at home behind the wheel than I do walking down the street. I feel elated when I start my car. I really feel that I'm in control of everything," the Baulkham Hills grandmother said.

Mrs Ronis has been driving since 1949 and is proud she's still on the road, so when another newspaper crowned a 96-year-old Griffith man as NSW's oldest driver, she wrote to The Sunday Telegraph to set the record straight.

She zips around town in her Mazda 121, regularly driving to the Blue Mountains and Nowra to visit family and to the Latvian Club in Strathfield for a night out with friends.Telegraph


No comments:

Post a Comment