Saturday, December 4, 2010

Student Googles himself, finds he's accused of murder

Image via [switched]
GAINESVILLE, FL - A University of Florida student is relieved to know that deputies aren't searching for him, but he's still in shock that the Polk County Sheriff's Office erroneously released his photo in connection to a September murder.

Investigators originally released a driver's license photo of Zachary Garcia - spelled with an "A." But it was Zachery Garcia, spelled with an "E," who was
charged in connection with the crime.

On Sept. 23, authorities say two teenaged boys broke into a home in Davenport, Fla., about 60 miles northeast of Tampa, Fla., while two other teens waited outside. One of the homeowners, Jose Oyola-Aponte, was able to grab his gun and shot one of the burglars, Otilio Rubio, 15. He later died.

Because the death occurred during commission of a felony, all three surviving teens were charged with murder.

UF student Zachary Garcia learned about the error after searching for his name on Google.com.

"I was just very shocked to find my picture and the article saying that I was convicted of a felony murder charge," he said. "And I was just very shocked and
angry that someone put my name up there and said I did something I didn't do."

"Everybody makes mistakes," Garcia said. "I work at Publix and I might get somebody's sub (order) wrong. But for somebody to get (the photo of a suspect) wrong . . . It's not a sandwich, it's somebody's life you're playing with."
Republished from news10.net

No comments:

Post a Comment