Friday, August 27, 2010

Emma Watson visits Bangladesh



Harry Potter star Emma Watson was on a secret visit to Bangladesh where she visited the homes of garment factory workers who are employed by big chain retailers like Gap and Primark.

The 20-year-old actress who is the spokesmodel for the ethical brand 'People Tree' visited the slum areas of the poverty ridden country earlier this summer.Watson who is currently studying at Brown University,also visited the brand's factory, helping workers with the sewing, reported Daily Mail online.

"I've been given a lot in my life and I have had so many fantastic opportunities. It's really important to me that I try and give something back. Following my summer collection for People Tree I wanted to visit Bangladesh to see the difference Fair Trade makes," said Watson.

"The contrast between the slums in Dhaka where the people who work in the garment factories live and Swallows,the Fair Trade community supported by People Tree, was all too apparent," added the young star. Watson selected the Fair Trade textiles used in the collection including cable knits and the first Fair Trade hand-woven brushed check.

The actress who shot to fame when she was cast as Hermione in Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone at the age of 11, is also the face of Burberry's Spring/Summer 2010 advertising campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment