Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pritam gets threat calls for his Dum Maro Dum remix

Pritam gets threat calls for his Dum Maro Dum remixDum Maro Dum remix lands music composer in a soup with purists

Pritam Chakraborty is more puzzled than frightened. Ever since it was announced that the music composer will remix the iconic Asha Bhosle track Dum maro dum for Rohan Sippy's upcoming film of the same name that is scheduled to release next month, he has been getting threat calls. 

When contacted, Chakraborty did not deny that he was under threat. "It is true. Ever since I remixed Dum Maro Dum, I've been getting aggressive calls. It's not as if they want to kill me. I think they want to kill my remix. All these calls express anger and outrage. 'How dare you?' is what they say, " he said.

This isn't the first time Chakraborty has remixed an iconic song. In the past, he has remixed RD Burman's Duniya Mein Logon Ko for the film Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai. "I even re-did something as sacrosanct as Man Dole from the
classic by Lataji in Nagin. But no one ever questioned me. But now, for the first time in my career I'm being threatened."

It isn't as if Chakraborty is shaken. But he is baffled. "These threats make me realise how iconic Dum Maro Dum is. The purists are going to be completely shocked by what we've done to the number. The lyrics are much more hard-hitting than the original. 

Not a word is the same. And my composition is far more gritty than the original. I think once the outraged purists hear my song they will be convinced my Dum maro dum bears hardly any resemblance to the original, " he says.

In the meantime, Chakraborty is being cautioned by family and friends to tighten his security. Laughs the composer, "Oh come on! No one has ever been killed for a song."

No comments:

Post a Comment