Friday, July 9, 2010

What does Ali Zafar want to be known as? The heartthrob Pakistani singer tells us


The last time we saw him in this city, Ali Zafar was walking the ramp at Dubai Fashion Week, the showstopper for HSY, all dreamy-eyed and honey-voiced as he sang. At the end, he got the blasé crowd on its feet. That’s exactly what the heartthrob hopes to do with his first Hindi film, Tere Bin Ladin, a spoof on the world’s most hunted man.

In this fun interview, Ali tells Masala! exactly what drew him to this film and why he does not want to be called the Shah Rukh Khan of Pakistan. And yes, the heroines he wants to work with...

What is it like being a hero?
(Laughs) I feel like I have powers, like the powers of a superhero. I can change minds. Eventually lives. Mine own and other people’s as
well. (Laughs)

Why did you choose to act in a movie?
I think cinema is the ultimate media. Every creative person wants to experience a film at least once as a movie encompasses everything. I also began my career as a model and then acted in television and theatre. As you know, I always enact different roles and characters in my music videos. So for me, there’s nothing new in acting. And I found being part of this film a very interesting process.

This script was fascinating. The idea was fresh. I know it sounds like a cliché, but the message of this film is truly original. A post 9/11 world, the discriminations the Muslims face, Bush’s policies… everyone’s talking about these. We’ve talked about these too, but in a totally satirical and comical way. You’ll enjoy it!

You have the looks, you could have so played a romantic hero. Why enter B’wood with a spoof?
I love to think out of the box. Me acting in a romantic comedy would have been predictable. I like to catch myself by surprise! By taking up a project like Tere Bin Ladin, I am challenging myself, doing cinema that is more real, more relevant to the times. Playing a romantic hero would have been playing safe. I’ve never played safe in my life. In any case, our own lives are a lot more than a typical college romance, right?

So which B’wood actor do you look up to?
Mr Dilip Kumar. Mr Amitabh Bachchan. Aamir Khan. Shah Rukh Khan. Naseeruddin Shah.

If you were called the Shah Rukh Khan of Pakistan, would it make you happy?
I admire Shah Rukh Khan, I think he is a tremendous actor. But I don’t want to be known as anyone else. I want to be known in my own name, as my own self. I want to be Ali Zafar of Pakistan every time.

How would you compare the Pakistani film industry to the Hindi film industry?
The Pakistani film industry has been under the process of destruction for many years. Foreign films have been banned, there are no copyright laws, nothing much has come out of the industry. On the other hand, Bollywood has kept growing and maturing and it has now stepped into international markets. But we are trying to catch up. Our generation will make that difference (to the Pakistani film industry). For example, I have opened up a film company, Ali Films. We will be distributing Tere Bin Ladin in Pakistan, to begin with.

What next in Bollywood?
You know I always think it sounds really funny when people say things are in the pipeline (laughs). But things actually are in the pipeline, at least for me in Bollywood!

Hopefully you won’t be giving up music though...
Absolutely not! Music is my first love. Soon my new album Jhoom will be out. As I said, a movie allows you to do many different things. I have sung four songs in Tere Bin Ladin and written and composed one of those four. And yes, I hope to be coming to Dubai for a concert soon...

The heroine question

Who is your dream actress?
I really don’t want to name one.

Okay, name three...
Can I name four?

Sure, go ahead!
Kareena Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone… Actually all of them together in one film (with me) would be nice, thank you!

Just so you know...
Ali Zafar loves to wear jeans and tee, he’s happy with boxers and tee at home.

He relaxes by strumming his guitar, sketching (he has an art degree!) and digitally painting on the photographs he has taken.

He loves methi aloo and is also partial to Japanese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment